Tuesday 26 August 2008

Jeremy Paxman: "The worst thing you can be in this industry is a middle-class white male"


Jeremy Paxman is one of those people you can't help but admire and I'm sure he had his reasons for saying this but frankly it's the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. Maybe ever. Probably ever. Is it harder for a middle class male to be the absolute overlord of television in this country? Maybe. How would I know? Is it harder for a middle class male to be everything else in television in this country? Like fuck it is! Everybody I've ever come into contact with in television who has any power at all has been a middle class male. It's a problem actually. Television sucks because it's full of middle class males trying to lower themselves to the lowest common denominator in an attempt to appeal to "Middle England" which doesn't exist. I'm very, very sick of seeing floppy fringed, "Wacky", "rebellious" white middle class TV presenters in "Youth clothing" on British television in particular. Ho hum. I will meet Jeremy Paxman one day and ask him about this.

No comments: