Thursday 14 August 2008

Joell Ortiz on the perfect debut album


Joell Ortiz has been talking debut albums on his blog. I'm particularly drawn to Rule Numero Un and Rule Numero Trois... Rule Numero Two was particularly difficult for me as I basically had 10 weeks to write and record my record. But I had a life time to prepare for it so I'm good.
Rule Numero Un: Do write about what you know and not what you think you know. – Self explanatory niggaz! There’s never a future in yo frontin’ mang!

Rule Numero Two: Take your time and do it right baby. Nothing fucks up an album more than weak mixes, tinny beats, or rushed herky jerky content. You only get to make a first impression once simpletons. It’s either you sink or swim doggy so make sure you come correct off the rip. Otherwise you get what you deserve! Rule

Nombre Trois: Just let it go. Don’t hold back now sunny, you’re there. It’s up to you. Seriously, all the preparation and long days and nights that you put into your craft have prepared you for this point. It’s up to you now. Don’t hold back and end up regretting shit. You’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain.
LINK: Joel Ortiz talks perfect albums

The image above is one of many early artwork options for 'Devil In The Distance' by the way. It's actually not that early. We were almost there at that point. I still really like it though. I'll show you some more pretty soon.

No comments: